“Alright it’s time to accept that hippie side of yours and to upcylce those old hoop earrings into nice and new crochet boho ones” :p That’s what I said to myself a few days ago while grabbing my crochet hook in a furious motivation momentum. If you d’like them too, here is a nice and detailed step by step tutorial I made for you ! Hope you’ll like it !
Material : a pair of hoop earrings, sport weight cotton yarn (I used drops safran) and a 2.5mm hook (size B)
Stitches : chain, slip stitch, single crochet, double crochet, half double crochet
This tutorial is written in US crochet terms.
1) chain 5 and close the circle with a slip stitch in first chain (or make a magic ring, but for once, I like the small hole made by the chain circle in the middle of the earring better)
2) chain 2, then, crocheting inside the circle, make (1 double crochet, 1 chain) 12 times.
3) Close the round with a slip stitch in the first double crochet you made (and ignore the ch2).
4) chain 2 then make a double crochet in the ch1 space below.
5) Then, continue with a ch1 and 2 double crochet in each ch1 space of the round below. You’ll have 11 groups of (1 chain, 2 double crochets).
6) End this round with one last ch1, then make another double crochet in the same ch1 space as the first double crochet you made on this round, then close the round with a slip stitch in the 1st double crochet.
7) It’s now time to compare the size of your work with your earring. If you have enough space, continue in double crochet but if not you can make half double crochet as I did instead.
8) chain 2, then 2 half double crochet in the ch1 space just below.
9) Continue the round by making 11 groups of (1 chain, 3 half double crochet) in the ch1 space of the round below.
10) Then, end it by making one last chain and a half double crochet in the same ch1 space as the first half double crochet you made this round. Close the round with a slip stitch in that first half double crochet.
11) Ch1 and bring your earing closer
12) Make one single crochet inserting your hook in next stitch and around the earing
13) Continue like so, making a single crochet in each half-double crochet and in each ch1 space of the round below (until you have to stop because of the earring closure)
Fasten of, weave in the ends, make another one and make crazy faces when someone takes pictures of you ! :D