Wait? What is “Pimp your patterns”?
Sometimes I write patterns, sometimes I follow patterns. But, you know how it goes, we, creative people, always have to add a little something ! That’s what “Pimp your patterns” is : my “little somethings”. So, in this category, I’ll be posting the patterns I followed, and all the changes I made to them so you can make them too if you’d like.
One of the first amigurumi pattern I ever followed was her jawa. I loved it so much ! So, when I heard she was releasing a kit, I knew I would get it ! Santa was faster than me :) Before going on with the pattern changes, I thought I would share my thoughts about the kit with you guys :
• Some of the patterns are so freaking cute ! (Look at that ewok !)
• The legs are made in a very original way that allows the figurines to stand up on their own.
• It’s a real kit : for once, everything you need to make 2 patterns from the book is included, from the yarn to the stuffing, yarn needle and safety eyes.
• The yarn. My advise? Throw it away as soon as you open the kit. It’s in a really poor quality and it will ruin your work !
• Some of the patterns are a bit wonky (that Darth Vader, oh my…)
That being said, there is 12 patterns in the book : Yoda, Luke, Leia, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Wicket the ewok, a Stormtrooper, Boba Fett, Jabba the Hutt, C3PO, R2D2 and Darth Vader. I skipped Darth Vader (for the reason mentioned above), R2D2 (which is not that bad but there are more realistic patterns on the internet) and 3PO (which I entirely re-did, *to be continued* )
So, there are 9 left. I’ll show you the first 5 today, and the remaining 4 in the second part ! The third part will be about her Etsy shop patterns.
• 1st thing first : his height. If you follow the pattern, your Yoda will be bigger than the picture. Therefore, I skipped row 18 and 19. So, when I made the feet I had to count 4 stitches before the middle instead of 5 and I only made 3 stitches between the 2 feet instead of 5. Plus, rnd20 becomes “[sc2tog, sc in next stitch] 6 times” instead of 9.
• Then, his robe. It seems that there is a size issue here : if you don’t shrink Yoda’s size, you’ll have to add 2 rows to the 7th round. Plus, the sleeves are made separately. To avoid the sewing, I’d rather crochet the sleeves directly on the robe. To do so, in the third round, you’ll have to crochet 5sc IN the chains and not around them. When you’ll make the sleeves, simply insert your crochet hook in one of those stitches and crochet 10 sc around.
Rnd2: 1sc in each st (10)
Rnd3: (4sc, inc)*2 (12)
Rnd4: 1sc in each st (12)
• The arms. First of all, I made them all green. I though it was unnecessary to make a color change while the arms would be covered by the robe sleeves. Then, I also shrunk them by skipping rnd 2,6 and 7 and adding 6sc at the end.
• As for the details. I didn’t embroider the mouth but I embroidered a small nose in the same green as the head. I also embroidered eyelids around the eyes. And, I made 40 chains instead of 30 for the belt.
• The only big change for Leia was her hair. First, I changed the base a bit to make a part. To do so, I skipped row 10 and 11 ans replaced row 10 by : 12sc, 2hdc, 1slst, 2hdc, 13sc and an invisible finish.
Then, I changed her buns like so :
Rnd1 : 6 sc in a MR (6)
Rnd2 : BLO : inc*6 (12)
Rnd3 : BLO: (sc, inc)*6 (18)
Rnd4 : BLO : (sc2, inc)*6 (24)
Rnd5 : (sc2, dec)*6 (18)
Stuff lightly, pin on the head and sew in place.
• I also chose not to embroider her mouth
Despite appearances, I barely didn’t change Chewie’s pattern. I thought it was a good proof that the details can make or brake a design. I have to admit that when I saw the picture, I didn’t want to make it as I though he had kind of a dumb face. Talking about it on twitch, we realized that it was probably because of his smile ! Seriously, who has ever seen Chewbacca smiling?
So, I thought I would give it a try without the smile. And while I was looking for acrylic yarn to make him, I stumbled upon this reddish variegated yarn, which was absolutely perfect for Chewie.
When I made the face, I looked at a reference picture, and I also realized that his eyes were very close one from another (kind of the opposite than the pattern picture).
So, basically, I just followed the pattern, replacing the light brown by my variegated yarn, put the eyes closer, embroidered the nose, skipped the smile…And that’s it !
4. Han Solo
• First change : the hair. I wasn’t convinced by the “incorporated” hair so I decided to make a wig, just like for Leia. To do so, it’s very simple : I only used skin color to make the head, then I took Leia’s hair pattern, removed row 10 and 11 and replaced row 10 by 12sc, 2dc, 1slst, 2dc, 13sc and an invisible finish.
• Then, I kinda did the same thing with his vest. Why not use Yoda’s robe pattern, without the sleeves rather than incorporate the vest in the body? All there is to do is to follow the instructions with black yarn from rnd 1 to 5 and add a row of 26 sc.
Plus, both those changes make the pattern easier for beginner as you don’t have to make all those color changes anymore !
Luke is last and there’s a reason to it. I didn’t use Luke’s pattern at all but used Han Solo’s (for the body), Yoda’s (for the robe) and even Leia’s (for the hair). In the book, Luke is in his “return of the Jedi”‘s outfit, and I much rather his look in “A new hope”. If you do too, here are the changes I made.
• The body. I followed Han Solo’s pattern, making the head in skin color and the shirt and belt in off-white yarn. Then I changed to light beige for the pants and to dark beige for the boots.
• The tunic. I followed Yoda’s robe pattern (including the changes mentionned above), then added 3 rows after row7 and 5 rows to the arms after row 4.
• The hair. As for Han and Leia, I kept Leia’s wig pattern, removed row 10 and 11 then replaced row 10 by 30sc and row 11 by 11sc, 1hdc, 1dc, 1hdc, 1slst, 1 hds, 1dc, 1hdc, 12sc and an invisible finish.
• The belt : ch27, 1sc in the 2nd ch from hook, 11sc, 3dcbob (see instructions in the book) in the 2 next chains, 12sc. Sew over the tunic.
• The lightsaber. I found that the lightsaber pattern was really weird so I came up with this one :
With grey yarn :
R1 : 4 sc in a MR
R2-3 : 1sc in each st around (4)
In the color of your choice :
R4-10 : 1sc in each st around (4) Fasten off, and close the hole.
Note : If you make the New Hope outfit, the lightsaber should be blue, if you make the Return of the Jedi’s outfit, it should be green ;)
And that’s it for the first 5 !
*TO BE CONTINUED*
Don’t forget to come and say hi on twitch for our first CCC (cyber crochet circle) on Saturday ! I can’t wait ! :)